On his fourth visit to the Land of Israel in February of 1914, Baron Edmond de Rothschild toured the southern end of the Carmel hills and expressed his desire to be buried ‘in the rock’. His Will included specific instructions that he be buried in what was then called Palestine. In 1936, Mr. James de Rothschild initiated the establishment of the gardens in their present form, as a natural memorial to his parents. In 1954, when work was accomplished, the name of the memorial site was changed from Umm-el-Aleq to Ramat Hanadiv, or ‘the Hill of the Benefactor’.
The graves of Baron Edmond Binyamin de Rothschild (1845 - 1934) and his wife, Baroness Adelheid Ada lie at the centre of Ramat Hanadiv. The Memorial Gardens surrounding the crypt sprawl across approximately 17.5 acres. Broad lawns, leafy trees, budding roses and colourful seasonal flowers greet visitors to the site. Points of interest include the Cascade Garden,Rose Garden, Palm Garden, and Fragrance Garden. In summer, public concerts are held at the Amphitheatre.
Ramat Hanadiv admission - FREE
♦ Maps, brochures for self-guided hikes on the trails and tours of the gardens,and pamphlets about Ramat Hanadiv research projects are all available at the Information Centre.
♦ The Memorial Gardens are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
♦ Braille guides may be borrowed free of charge.
♦ Vehicles not allowed in the Memorial Gardens or in the Park.
♦ Car park, picnic area, restrooms, and a refreshment stand
Sun. - Thu. 08:00 – 16:00
Fridays & holiday eves 08:00 – 14:00
Sat. & Holidays 08:00 – 16:00 (Crypt is closed)
By train: Visitors arriving by train should disembark at the Binyamina station. They may complete the trip by public bus (#872, #202, or #70) or by public taxi service. Phone list of taxi companies is available at the train station.
By bus: From Zikhron Ya'acov public bus (#872, #202, or #70) and public taxi services are available from the local Egged bus station. The bus stops at the entrance to Ramat Hanadiv, 1½ kilometres from the Memorial Gardens (about a 30-minute walk).
By car: Off route 4 (Tel Aviv - Haifa) to road 653 at Binyamina Intersection, then to road 652 North via Binyamina till Ramat Hanadiv Junction.